We had job-a-like training today... very helpful! It was nice to get to talk to some of the other teachers who teach the same subjects I teach... even the same level.. Although it was fun to meet the HS teachers... and great to see you, Jess. (Be sure to keep Caleb away from Kelsey Grammar) :)
Anyway... we walk into the room and sit down... now there are about 25 of us.... FOR THE WHOLE DISTRICT teaching Speech... I seriously can't believe I got a job in the Speech subject area... ANYWAY... we take our seats (in a choir room I once had a class in when I went to MHS... freaky) and the lady running the show says "Alicia Lawyer isn't in here, is she?"
Now... MY entire life, hardly anyone gets my name right on the first try... I've been called everything under the sun... Most common, before I got married was Allison Co-ah-dee. I have learned to accept this and just answer... but I haven't had anyone mess up my married name to the point that it sounded like a completely different word... so I wasn't sure if she was calling me. And if she did mean me, why was she posing the question in the negative... was I not supposed to be there? Had I missed something and already gotten a reputation for not showing up? God, I hope not.
Then she said it again, "Alicia Lawyer, no?" ... I thought it best to clarify.
"Do you mean Alyssa Lawther?" She didn't answer, just smiled and showed me the form... yes, she meant me. It was a signed form stating that I was indeed showing up... for even EXTRA activities and getting credit for them. I am still bothered by how she asked the question, but I think I am overreacting.
I was still contemplating this when Jess leaned over and laughed, "Did she just call you Alicia Lawyer?"
I kinda shrugged and we both giggled.
I really hope I do better pronouncing students names on Monday... I know I won't get them all right.. I hope to be some what close.
8 months
9 years ago






2 comments:
That's funny. I laughed.
She sure did call you Alicia Lawyer... that was so funny!! Good luck on your first day tomorrow!!
Post a Comment