1.21.2009

Good Day

First things first... please enjoy this picture of my husband and my (well, Katie's) fuzzy purple socks. I love it!!


Today we started a new semester and I got all my newbies. I think it's going to be a great semester. A lot of them had class together last semester. So the only thing different for them is the teacher, the classroom, and the subject. I gotta say... I kinda like that they are comfortable with one another for the most part. My class requires trust and I feel like the majority of them are already there or will be soon. FANTASTIC. But I miss my kiddos from last semester. A lot came and visited me today... guess that'll have to do.

I am very tired though. First day is always a lot of talking... a lot of me talking. I love to have conversations with them and get to know them. But the first day is all about rules and procedures. And I talk THE WHOLE TIME. By 8th period I was so done. :)

s/c (subject change.. sorry I had a JH flash back)

Can we reflect for a second on yesterday? What an amazing day. It was a teacher work day, so no kiddos but we still had to be there. It was so nice. I got a lot done. But at 10:30 the majority of us gathered in the library to watch the Inauguration. I am so grateful that I teach at a school where we all feel like family. It was so great to experience that with them.


During President Obama's speech he said something that really resonated with me. Well, he said A LOT of things that resonated with me. I think his Speech was AMAZING... But he said... and I didn't write it down so I may misquote him a little... but the gist is... He was talking about our enemies. The people that want to bring us down... and he said...

"...we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist."

What a wonderful message to send. I am so proud of our country and our president. I feel hopeful about the future. And that's a great feeling!!!

Oh... and I am happy President Bush and Laura made it home safe. I'm glad they came back to Texas... I am also proud of him and all that he did. He kept us safe and was the scape goat for a lot that happened. He's a great man and I'm glad he's home.

If you can, take a moment and pray for our country, our president, and our enemies. Everyone can use a little prayer. :)

4 comments:

Jessi and Casey said...

"...we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist." what a beautiful thought. i watched the inauguration on a tiny t.v. in the classroom across the hall. only one other teacher was interested...a little different from your school! my favorite part of the whole day was their dance and watching beyonce fight back tears as she sang. so sweet :)

Alyssa and Kevin said...

Thanks babe!! I fixed the quote!!

Jessi and Casey said...

surry. i wasn't trying to correct you. i don't think you thought i was, but just in case :) but what a lovely thought though, eh?

p.s. i luuuuurve kevin's socks. i must have skipped over that picture the first time. they are hilooorious.

and...delete comment.

Alyssa and Kevin said...

I didn't think that at all. I'm glad to have the real quote in there... just too lazy to go find it. :)

I know about the socks! He loves them!! I am thinking about getting him his own pair... maybe in a more manly color.. we'll see. :)