9.11.2011

Dad Update 9/11

Not a whole lot to report from today or yesterday. Dad is doing fantastic! When I got to the hospital yesterday after my volleyball tournament, Dad said Hello to me. They brought him the device that he will be able to press to his throat to speak after his throat heals. In the meantime it has a straw on the end of it that vibrates in his mouth for sound. It's a computerized voice and it's loud. Mom, Dad and I giggled as he practiced with it. But he recognizably said my name and Mom's. Of course it's easier to read his lips but they want him to practice with this device. The speech therapist was very impressed (as she should be) with Dad's progress and how quickly he learned to use the device. They also removed all his drains!

He is expecting a visit from a man who has been living with a trach for a while now and he comes to talk to patients so they can ask questions to someone who has lived through it. I wish I could be there and meet him but I think he's coming tomorrow and my day is jammed packed at work.

Kevin went to Mom and Dad's to take care of puppies. He "bonded" with them, to say the least. He even gave them new nicknames. He calls Macy "the sheep dog", because in his opinion she looks like a sheep or a lamb. And Callie, well, he has dubbed her "the smug jerk". :) Callie wouldn't exactly do what he wanted her to do, like go outside and take care of business. So while on the phone with me, he chased her around and finally picked her up and put her down near the fence with plenty of grass. While he was distracted she took off running and he chased after her again. I only wish I could have been there to witness this.

Mom and I ate dinner at the picnic tables outside and I had great time just hanging out with her. After all, if you remember from my previous email, Dad's weekend plans, according to the hospital were to hang out.

The Bryan, Texas Coady clan came into town this weekend, they picked up Granny and spent some time at the hospital to see Dad. He had a rough night with some blockage in his trach but was resting comfortably when I got there later in the day. It was so great to see my family. It's been too long. My cousin Danielle is engaged and I finally got to see her gorgeous ring!! It is beautiful, I probably would have said yes too, just to wear that ring!!! Although mine's pretty spectacular as well. My hubby did good!

David and Melinda Tate from our PK lake family also came to visit while I was there. We were able to spend some time catching up before they had to get back home. Melinda is also a teacher and it seems that she spent the time in car grading papers. That's dedication my friends!!

I didn't stay long after everyone left. Dad was resting and Mom went to lay down on her cot so I came home to continue the laundry and try to get things ready for the week. There were so many cards in Dad's room today. I looked them over before I left and my favorite one is a Dog saying, "Heal!" :)

Thank you so much for your prayers, calls, texts, emails and visits. Dad is recovering and I appreciate you all so much!

Ok, so maybe I had more to say then I thought. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It sounds like your Dad is recovering nicely, though I am sure he has some pain. We are praying for ya'll and wishing Buzz a speedy recovery.