Yesterday's theme... Don't touch the left arm.
I went to work yesterday and continued to get things ready so that I could be off of work at the beginning of next week for Dad's surgery. We had a volleyball game last night and I was also trying to get my brain to focus on that too. During 6th period, around 2pm I got a text from my Mom saying that they moved Dad's surgery and he was already in pre-op. I freaked out a little bit inside. Even though Mom's text said this was good news, my Dad was still having surgery, on his neck. Scary! Then I had to process how good this news truly was. No more recovering just to have another "procedure" (down play it all you want Doctor, it's surgery). This was the big surgery and now he could start recovering, period. And I just had to smile.
My kiddos were working in pairs so they just continued while I called the office to get a sub to come to my room so I could leave. Got a hold of the other volleyball coach and she agreed to coach my team for me that night. And then I was out the door. I am so grateful to my school family for taking care of me. I can't imagine working anywhere else.
Once I was in the car, I called Kevin but he was on the practice field. Left him a message. Picked up my Granny and we headed to the hospital. When we got there Dad was already in surgery... well, at least in the operating room, so I couldn't go see him. But that's OK. We aren't sure what time they actually started the surgery but we think around 4pm. Mom and Dad's life long friends Vicki and Lorne Kane were there and I was so grateful Mom wasn't alone. Which isn't a big deal to her, to wait alone, but it made it me feel better and I know she appreciates it. They stayed through the whole surgery and even bought us dinner. They are just the best people and we really appreciate their kindness and friendship. Kev called me as soon as he got off the practice field and was on his way to the hospital. When I told my Mom she said that he didn't need to come... UH, yes he does Mom! :)
Aunt Vicki and Uncle Jay came by after I took Granny home and I am so grateful to have such a loving and wonderful family! Thank you all so much for the text, calls and visits. You really know how to make a girl feel loved!!!
Around 7pm we got a phone call in the waiting room from the surgeon. The surgery was SUCCESSFUL! They got all the cancer out!!! They didn't have to do as much reconstruction as they had planned for so his recovery will be even swifter. They removed his Larynx and his thyroid and I think 2 lymph nodes. They also began the process for him to have a prosthesis Larynx which is the best option for speech after the surgery of all the options! GOD IS SOOO GOOD! My Daddy is CANCER FREE!! He has to go back in 2 weeks to have his thyroid levels checked to make sure the medication that he will be taking is working. And I am pretty sure he'll still have chemo. I mean, they went through all the trouble of putting the port in and all, but we didn't really ask about that last night.
Last night was all about Thanking God for this wonderful news. After his surgery last week, they put him in the ICU with signs on the walls that basically said, "don't touch the left arm". Just a piece of paper that was printed from a computer. The doctor was planning to take the skin from his arm and put it on his neck so the Dr. didn't want any IV's or blood taken from the left arm . When dad got out of the ICU and we were packing up his stuff he made sure I grabbed the sign so we could take it to his new room.
While he was in surgery, Lorne and I went back to his room to pack up his stuff. He's going to be in the ICU for a few days now and it's unlikely he will be moved back into the room he had before. So as we were packing up the stuff I made sure to grab that sign. Who knew if he'd need it, but it was important before so I didn't want to leave it.
Well, the surgery went so well, that they didn't have to take the skin from his arm. They didn't have to replace the skin on his neck. And I can't wait for him to be alert enough for me to tell him all the good news. I can't wait to tell him, "They didn't touch your left arm."
Long road ahead, but right now, we are basking in the great news.
Keep the prayers coming!
LOVE YOU ALL!!!






1 comment:
So glad everything turned out better than expected!
Post a Comment