My Dad is such a fighter. And if you were to ask him about that, he'd tell you it's just another day. Just another day that he has to choose how his attitude will effect his recovery. I wasn't able to go over to the hospital on Monday because I had volleyball practice after school and then had to work the 7th grade game. I didn't get home until after 8pm and I know that's about the time Dad starts to wind down at the hospital.
I did talk to my Mom and she said that he had a rough morning. They changed out his trach. He has a smaller one now and nothing is protruding from his neck. YAY! It looks really good. But it is one more thing that his body has to adapt to and Mom said that he had a really bad coughing fit after they put in the new trach. He also had some problems with his IV and they had to take it all out and re-stick him. No fun. So it was about 3pm before he was finally able to just relax.
Mom said just after 3pm the nurse came in to get him to get up and walk around for a little bit and Mom let her know all that happened that morning and that Dad needed to rest. The nurse asked Dad if he wanted to walk around a bit and he said OK. She asked Dad if Mom was his wife and he said yes. The nurse told Dad that Mom was very protective of him. Yes, she is... as he is of her. :)
So by the evening Dad was relaxing comfortably and I think had a pretty smooth night.
Yesterday, he had another coughing fit and coughed out a tube that was placed in his throat to make way for the prosthesis that he will get in the future. They had to restitch him back up. Other than that he had a pretty smooth day.
Kevin and I got there around 7:30pm as Aunt Vicki and Uncle Jay were loading up all the supplies Dad will need when he goes home. They brought everything yesterday thinking he'd go home today, but right now, that isn't going to happen.
As soon as we got there, Dad and I went for a walk. The hospital is so pretty but he has to stay close to his room and there isn't much to look at in that area. But he is so strong. He walks around like he hasn't been in the hospital for almost 2 weeks!
He is so close to getting to go home but he has to get his coughing under control. The problem is that the mucus is hard and isn't moving which creates more coughing. They said more water and exercise would break up the mucus so he can get it out and then he'll get to go home. So, that's exactly what he's doing.
Today is a big day, I am at work so I'll have to hear about it from Mom, but today is the swallow test day!!! If he is able to swallow and nothing leaks or causes more problems, he will get to start drinking water and even coffee again!! And solid foods are not too far behind.
He does have a feeding tube in his stomach and he has learned how to use it himself. But that is temporary.
He's such a miraculous man!!!
Please keep the prayers coming!
LOVE YOU ALL!!
Dad and me fresh from our walk:






No comments:
Post a Comment