9.07.2008

GUSTAV tried to make me get a sub!

Lets go back in time to a week ago today... I'm still in Florida and we weren't sure what was going to happen with Gustav so I went ahead and got a sub in case they canceled my flight. The good news is I had laid everything out in my classroom so that I wouldn't have to worry about anything come Tuesday. So, it was kinda Sub ready. Anyway... I had AAeagle on speed dial and they weren't giving ANY information away. I could change my flight if I wanted to... but it wasn't canceled "yet". And moving my flight up would not be helpful because if they were going to cancel the 1:30pm flight, they'd cancel all the flights. And I refused to go home on Sunday because the ticket was too expensive to justify a 2 day trip. So, we decided not to worry about it... dressed Jackson in the cutest hat possible and headed for lunch in Destin.

You can see the storm clouds were rolling in... still can't hold a candle to Texas storms though...

This is Dewey Destin. It is sooo good. Doesn't look like much but probably the best fried scallops and hush puppies I have EVER had. I love JBJB for taking me there.

We decided to take advantage of the ocean being under our feet and took some pictures in the surf. Baby Jack was "this close" to being thrown in. (Jordan requires 2 life vest to go swimming and Brad is determined that won't be the case with Jackson.) :)



Woke up Labor day Monday to a phone call from Kevin telling me they closed the airport in Ft. Walton Beach and my flight was definitely canceled. They rescheduled me for a 8pm flight Tuesday night. Ah... that's not gonna work. I called AAeagle to see if there was anything earlier on Tuesday. There was... I basically got on the same flight as my original flight... just one day later. I accepted this. Some awesome go getter substitute had already picked up my job. I was covered. I got up to go look outside and see what the fuss was about. I mean it had to be bad if they closed the airport right?

Below is a picture of Brad and Jordan's dock when Kev and I visited last July... this is what it is supposed to look like...

And this is what I saw....

Not too bad... Brad pulled the boat WAY up so we weren't worried about it floating away... but still the storm surge had flooded their area a little. Even so, the rain eventually let up and around 2:30pm and by that point the dock looked like this....

Jordan and Brad went to investigate. Jordan is standing on the front of the dock... about calf deep in water.

Below she is standing on the rock stairs she normally uses to walk into the water.

I kinda really like this picture...


A short time after they came back inside... we decided since I wasn't leaving today, we'd go run some errands and get stuff for tacos for dinner. We got back around 5:30pm. Just to be sure, I had Brad check aa.com to be sure the airport was still closed. It wasn't really bad anymore so maybe it was open again. Even so, I didn't think they'd fly over Louisiana until tomorrow but it couldn't hurt to check. Brad told me the 4:30pm flight to DFW was delayed but the 6:30pm flight was on time. There were no flights after 6:30pm. I called aa to see if this was a typo. By this point it is 5:45pm when I finally get someone on the phone. She says they did open the airport and there are 2 seats left on the 6:30pm flight. My eyes widen. But... she can't book me on it because the flight leaves in less than an hour. If we make it to the airport within the next 15 minutes and the flight doesn't fill up, maybe they can get me on it once I get there.

Long shot, I know. But I have to try or I won't be ok missing the 6th day of school. I throw all my things in my bag and we call Kev on the way to the airport. 5:55pm I walk through the doors.

"Is DFW your final destination?" ... yes...."Are you checking a bag..." no. OK... "How about a single seat?" huh? "Just take this ticket over to security and tell them your planes about to leave.

Seriously? I am shocked! I run back outside and kiss all the Boykins goodbye. Man.. I barely got to thank them. And I forgot to steal Baby Jack by putting him in my suitcase. DAMN. I run back inside the smallest airport ever and zip through security. I get to the gate as they close the door. The man looks at me surprised and says, "Sorry." and opens the door back up. I call Kev and let me know I made it on the plane.

I'm in the air less than an hour from my initial AAeagle phone call.

Hour and a half later I feel all three wheels hit the ground after a fairly smooth flight. Kev brought Murph and they are waiting in the car.

I'm Home. I start to cry for many reasons.

Tuesday morning I get up and go to work. :P

No comments: