9.27.2008

Artsy Smartsy

My cousin lives in New York City. She works as an architect and her office is in the Empire State Building. (It's OK to be jealous... I am) She's always been VERY artistic. She sent us an email at the beginning of the month and told us that she'd entered a contest and won the opportunity to have one of her paintings displayed. Just so happens that it's displayed here in Dallas. Gma and Gpa tried to fly her down her to see it, but her schedule wouldn't let her.

Anyway... I promised her I'd go see it and take pictures and tonight, I kept that promise. The G-rents wanted to see it too, so we went to North Park tonight. And I have to tell you how we found it.

It's a pretty big display and we entered from the back because of the parking situation for my G-rents (more handicapped parking at the department stores). We looked at all the names and after about 5 minutes made it half way through. I was looking closely at all the paintings and someone stopped me, interpreting my attentiveness as passion for art and having no idea it was more pride for my cousin than anything else.

"Have you seen this one?" He asks me. "Look at the colors she chose. The sheer depth of emotion is amazing." I decided to indulge the man, he seemed nice and I looked at the painting and then the little card next to it.. and guess what I saw.... My cousin's name all bright and beaming (or maybe that was me).

"That's my cousin's painting." I told the man, he didn't seem to believe me and moved on. Quite odd. Anyway, I called the G-rents over... "I found it!" I attempted to take a picture but Gma wanted to read the comics on the painting... She wants Emily to know that she got the "I'm so tired" reference.


After a few minutes, Gma moves out of the way and I can fulfill my promise....

Grandma and Grandpa with Emily's painting.

Her painting was near the front and you could see it from the beginning of the exhibit. Grandma told everyone who made eye contact with her that her granddaughter's painting was displayed here. My Gma.. gotta love her!

Oh, and Gma really like the knitted sweater that was in the exhibit. She had me take a picture of the lady's name and wants me to track her down so she can make sweaters for our family. So...

Jennifer Gayda: if you read my blog, please write me a comment with your contact information.
(there... I tried)


So... if you find yourself in the Northwest corner of the North Park Mall, outside Macy's... feel free to stand by my cousin's painting and brag about how you know the artist... if for no other reason, to make my Gma feel better that she couldn't set up shop there with bell and a sign.

WAY TO GO EMILY!! WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU!

1 comment:

The Lewis Family said...

I tagged you in my blog. Look at my latest post and you'll see what I'm talking about! :)