I woke up in no pain. I started to get ready for work was stopped in my tracks a few times by what I can only describe as minor gas pains. My uterus was tight. As I've never had a baby before, never been Iabor, I had no idea if that's what I was feeling. Since it only happened twice while I was getting ready, I decided to go into work. We had 8th grade awards that night so I wore my dress and even dress shoes.
When I got to work I noticed the pain was happening more frequently. By the middle of 2nd period I decided to start keeping track. I thought I was doing a great job of hiding it, but one of my more observant students asked me if I was ok. I assured her I was.
During my conference, I went to my friend, Vonda's classroom. Vonda and I teach the same subjects except I also have speech and athletics. We spend a lot of time together. I told her what was going on and she said maybe it was Nate dropping. I was still carrying him really high. I thought that made total sense.
We ate lunch at 11:30 and that is when the "timer" started. Every time I got up I was having a "contraction" Counted 6 in an hour. Vonda said to me, "Maybe you are in labor". So I texted Kevin and he told me to call our Dr and see what they think.
I called and very unsurely told her I thought I was having contractions. That they were accompanied with minor pain and I had 6 in the last hour. She said it sounded like labor and to go to the hospital to get checked out. Kevin and I knew how many days of "paid vacation" I had left and its not a lot. So I asked her if I could wait until 3pm. She said no. ;)
So I went to my principal and told her what was going on. She asked if I needed a ride. I said I did. Vonda had my advisory class and agreed to watch my 5th period and my principal got my 6th and 7th periods covered.
Had a student run to my classroom to get my purse. I left my other bag because I was convinced this was all precautionary and I'd be back for awards that night. I called Kevin. He didn't answer. Left him a message that I was headed to the hospital.
Ok, so Kev had been on edge the past week. We don't normally talk on the phone during the day so anytime I called him he'd always answer in a panic. On the Tuesday before, with the suggestion of one of my students we came up with a code word. My student suggested "peaches". We thought that was hilarious.
So if I texted him peaches... It was go time.
So since my phone call went unanswered, I texted him... "Headed to the hospital, peaches."
Still nothing.
By this point I was in the car headed to the hospital. So I decided to text his two best friends at school hoping he was with one of them. Completely forgetting that Linden's wife, Julianne, had just given birth to their angel, Brooks, the day before.
Well, it's a good thing I did, because Linden called Brian, who was with Kevin. Brian hadn't seen the text yet but felt his phone ringing and answered. Turned out they were in the school cafeteria for an event and it was really loud. Brian told Kevin to check his phone and Kev was out the door calling me as he ran to his truck. Can't even say how much I appreciate Kevin's great friends!!
So I got to the hospital at 12:30pm. My principal waited in the waiting room until Kevin got there. I filled out some paper work. They walked me to the triage bed and then to the bathroom. I left a urine sample. Changed into the hospital gown and heard Kevin's voice on the other side of the door. A calm set over me. Thank God for him.
I got into the bed and they hooked me up to the machines. I had one small contraction right away and it didn't even hurt. Not a good sign. They checked and I wasn't dialated at all. Not even 1 centimeter. My blood pressure was good. My feet were swollen, but that's normal. They said they would monitor me for about an hour and if nothing changed that they'd send me home.
I looked at Kev and said, "You haven't called anyone, have you? Because I'm here for gas pains and that's embarrassing." He said he hadn't and we both had a little giggle.
10 minutes later the machine took my blood pressure again and it shot up 20 points. I have not had a problem with my blood pressure the whole pregnancy. There was 1 day where it was elevated. But it went back down within 5 minutes of resting on one side. Because of this one time, I was wary of pre-eclampsia. I've had traces of protein in my urine through out my pregnancy and would see spots every now and then. But the major indicators, blood pressure and head aches, had not been a problem.
10 minutes later and it shot up another 20 points. 183 over 84.
10 minutes later... 203 over 100.
It was about this time that the nurse came in and checked my legs. She said you are probably not going home today with blood pressure that high.
Minutes later she came back in. Said that I have protein in my urine, extremely swollen legs and asked me if I was seeing spots, I was. She said, "Ok, I talked to Dr. Froeschke and he said we are going to admit you and do a C-section. You are going to have a baby today."
Huh?
Kev looked at me and said, " Can I call your parents now?"
Yes please.
It was 1:45pm and everything started happening very quickly. They wheeled me to the elevator and Kevin had to stop and check in with security. I asked if we could wait and the nurse politely told me no. Told Kev what room we were headed to and to meet us there.
There were 5 nurses waiting for me when I was wheeled in the room. Kev said when he walked in they were swarmed around me. I remember just being in disbelief. Was this really happening? Kev hadn't gotten a hold of my Mom yet and ended up having to call the school to get a message to her.
The nurses were prepping me for surgery and one said that there was one person a head of me and then we'd head that way. They took my blood pressure again and it was 160 over 85. FYI, my arm is still bruised from the cuff. The higher your blood pressure, the tighter the cuff constricts... Blah.
Anyway, one of the nurses said they were bumping me above everyone. Kevin kept trying to get a hold of people while they worked on me. Time went by so fast. Next thing I knew we were headed to the OR. They kept Kev in the hallway while the got me numb and relaxed. He had to stick me 3 different times in my spine to find the right place. I had a moment once I laid down that I was nauseous and then I had trouble breathing. But they adjusted the medication and in no time I couldn't feel anything.
They brought Kevin in and he took my hand. Here we go. Dr. Froeschke worked fast and at 3:19pm our angel was born. They had to get out the vacuum because he was still so high. He was 36 weeks and 5 days old st birth. Any baby born before 37 weeks is considered a premie. NICU was there in case he needed to go. Nate was labeled a "late term premie".
They took him to the warming station. He wasn't crying. They said this was typical with C-section babies because they are in shock. They go from happy warm wombs to what the heck???
After about 45 seconds we heard that sweet sound. He was crying and I started balling. I am a Mom.
Nathaniel James Lawther was born on May 16th at 3:19pm. He was 6lbs 11oz and 20 inches long.
As they called out his weight, Dr. Froeschke said, " What? Not even 7lbs?" :) We had talked every visit about how big this baby would be at full term. He was always measuring so big and a head of schedule. God knew why. God was going to bring him early and he needed to be fully developed. And he was.
No need for the NICU. They did put him in a bright orange hat to signal that he is a premie.
They gave him to Kevin and he brought him to me. Most beautiful thing I've ever seen. He had a suck blister on his left thumb for sucking it in the womb. After way too short a time they needed to take him to the Nursery. Kev went with them and got to show him off to all who were in the waiting room. They finished working on me and wheeled me back to labor and delivery. They immediately started me on a magnesium drip and placed me on "seizure watch" for 24 hours.
Our bundle of JOY!
Nate and his G-Daddy!!
Nate and the man who saved both our lives... Best Doctor in the world.. Dr. Froeschke.
Proud Daddy!!!
My family and friends that are family are amazing. I am so glad they were at the hospital and able to meet our son!! I don't remember much more of that day. The magnesium drip made me feel like I had the flu. I remember holding him for the first time. I remember they brought him in to eat and then took him back to the nursery at night. I was so dizzy. I stayed in labor and delivery over night so they could monitor me. They brought in a hospital bed for Kevin. The most amazing group of nurses and care givers. I highly recommend MCA of Arlington Women's Center.
The next day I was feeling much better. No seizures, no more magnesium drip and I got to eat. :) They moved me up stairs a little later in the day. Nate had lots of visitors... He is so loved already.
Luka and Nate's first photo...tada!
Proud Daddies! Their little boys are one day apart. Kev, Linden, Nate and Brooks... Kick'em Colts! The tradition continues...
I was having trouble breast feeding so they taught me how to pump and feed Nate with a spoon. Crazy!! Not needed now as he can take a bottle just fine, but if you ever have to feed your newborn with a spoon, I can help! :)
It's now Saturday and we have one more day in the hospital. I'm so glad because I wasn't ready to go home. Some of my out of town family was in town that weekend!!! They came by and got to meet Nate!
Nate and his SUPER cousin Zanna!! So glad the Dallas Demarest clan could come see us!!
My miracle
Sarah and Whitney. Whitney is going to be a big sister in October!
Nate and his Glammye!!
Nate and his Grandma:
They came to our room and took his newborn photos on our hospital bed. So convenient and she got some great shots. I will post them soon.
Aunt Jessi, this one's for you. :) He's inherited my excellent toe moving skills. :)
We went home on Sunday May 19th. Kev's Dad's birthday and my Gparents wedding anniversary. We could feel them around us blessing us and keeping us safe.
Thanks so much to Kristen and Josh for taking care of Murphy while we were in the hospital. It was a load off our minds to know that he was taken care of by people he loves! They brought Murph over after we got home and settled in. It was very smooth and Murph is adjusting well.
As for us... We are adjusting too. Thanks for all the prayers! We feel them. Love you all!






1 comment:
I love this post so much!! You have one heck of a birth story. Love his toes and the shoit out! Less than 2 months til I get to kiss his sweet cheeks!! Yay!
Post a Comment