7.30.2010

DIY-Cabinet knobs & pulls!

I was at Lowes (don’t do it, BTW!) with my Mom and Grandmother and we were looking at knobs for a dresser my Gma just purchased. The dresser is gorgeous but the knobs are really modern and she wanted something more her style.

While we were there, I started looking at the knobs and I thought I could outfit my kitchen for about $40. I texted Kev this and he told me to go for it! Then I started doing the math and realized I under quoted… so after a little kidding around, Kev gave me a budget of $75! Totally doable! That means I could spend $2.50 a piece. That seemed pretty expensive to me! So I started looking more closely & I fell in love with the ones pictured below. I have black appliances, black counter tops & rod iron in my house. And I thought these would really look great in my kitchen:

       Too bad they were too expensive.

$2.98 each          &          $3.47 each

DSCN1061DSCN1080

So, I bought 1 of each and I bought 1 (pictured below) that was in the budget. Decided to get them both home and see if I could make a case for spending more money….

 37662_636279264344_25303744_36096287_6001432_n

I also needed to a tool to complete this, regardless of which knob we went with. It’s template for measuring where the knob should be. It makes this process a breeze & when I FINALLY found someone to help me at Lowes, the lady had NO CLUE what I was talking about! So frustrating. She ended up selling me a ruler with a level on it with the advice that I could, “ya know, measure things with it".” Great. Thanks. (They also messed up my return. If you can, go to Home Depot!)

So, in the end, we decided to do the black pulls (thanks to my facebook friends that helped me choose). Kevin wasn’t completely sold at first but I was so excited about them that he agreed.

I went to Ace Hardware to purchase the template. They had it and the guy knew exactly what I was talking about! It even came with a drill bit. AWESOME. Made the job really easy!

DSCN1060 

So below is a picture of my first two knobs installed! They took me about 45 minutes. I was so nervous! I didn’t want to mess it up. It was really difficult at first, but once Kev got home and showed me that I was using the drill in reverse instead of forward, it got a lot easier. hee. I feel really stupid. It took so much effort to get that first hole drilled. LOL Thank GOD for Kevin! I went around and marked all the cabinets and he finished the drilling and installed the knobs.

It doesn’t get more level than that:

DSCN1066

Jessi came over and helped me do the drawers! THANKS JESS:

DSCN1081

I’ve got a drill and I (now) know how to use it:

DSCN1083DSCN1086

seriously! PERFECTION:

DSCN1079

Everytime it was level, I did a happy dance. Jessi tried to take a picture of it and said I wasn’t happy enough. So I cheesed it up a bit.

The Level Dance & The Wow It’s Done Dance:

DSCN1092

Before:

DSCN1056

After:

DSCN1106

       Before:                                            drawers to go:

DSCN1055DSCN1071

After:

DSCN1082

Before:

DSCN1057

After:

DSCN1104

Before:

DSCN1058    

After:

DSCN1072        

I am SUCH a happy girl!

Next project (in the kitchen anyway): stain the cabinets! :)

6 comments:

Regina said...

I totally agree! As an avid DIY-er myself I can attest to the stupidity of the workers at Lowe's. It is quite a but cheaper so I do go there, but only when I know exactly what I need and where it is! Otherwise it is Home Depot. They know what they are talking about. Looks great by the way!!

Jessi and Casey said...

wow. thanks so much for including that awesome, creepy-eyed, sweaty-haired picture of me.

love the cabinets! :)

Alyssa and Kevin said...

word.

Regina- THANKS!! I thought about you as I was doing this. If I had problems (other than nervous legs, I was so nervous) I was totally going to contact you! :) I was really shocked about Lowes, you would think that a person needed SOME knowledge of hardware to work in a hardware store.

Jessi- no worries, I included an awesome, creepy-eyed, sweaty-haired picture of me too!!! :) But, I'll keep'em off facebook. And I'll delete it if ya want. :D

Jessi and Casey said...

i love that you said word. and i really don't care if my creepy-eyed, sweaty-haired pic is floating around the internet. and i still love the cabinets :)

the tatsaks said...

WOW, what a difference! Looks great! And I am loving the Hawaii posts:)

Shannon said...

The picture of Jessi is amazing. We just did our cabinets too. It makes such a big difference!