2.18.2009

The Flu, Fondue & my amazing Gma

This past weekend I was in a funk. Kevin wasn't feeling well and I was just feeling off. I've been feeling off for awhile... nothings really wrong I am just not really feeling like myself. I hope I snap outa it soon.. I miss me... haha. ANYWAY... so needless to say Vday was very low key at the Lawther's house. Saturday during the day Kevo and I went out the KHOV design center for a preview of the MILLION of choices that would face us come Monday at our actual design meeting. It was very productive. We got some great ideas and then went to Home Depot to do a little pricing. As we were driving home from Hope Depot Kevin started feeling bad. I wanted to make fondue so we had some sort of a Vday celebration but Kevin went from bad to worse and fondue became the last thing on our mind.

Sunday wasn't any better. He was shaking and coughing and had a fever. He self-diagnosed himself with the flu and I got flu medication for him. It helped but he still felt horrible. I decided fondue would help too. Kev says it did but he could just be humoring me. :) It was my first time to make it and it was DELICIOUS and VERY easy.




WE HAD A LOT LEFT OVER. I doubled the recipe because it said it only made 1/2 a cup. I thought, surely that's not enough... OH BUT IT IS. The leftover fondue, at room temperature, makes great frosting.

So while I was in my funk this weekend.. my phone started messing up. I wasn't receiving calls or text messages or even voice mails.

My grandparents called me on Friday night and asked me to pick up their prescriptions. This is not an unusual request from them so I thought nothing of it. Katie and I had already paid for tickets to see "Confessions of a Shopaholic" out in Lewisville so I didn't have time to pick up the prescriptions. I called my Dad and he was able to do it... no big deal.

My weekend goes as I mentioned above... still unaware of anything that has happened to my grandmother.

Monday we had off from school and I went out the design center to pick out all the interior of our house. Kevin was still VERY sick so I went alone. (I took pictures and will post them soon) I talked to my mother multiple times on Monday and not once did she mention anything that had happened to my Gma. Well, she thought I already knew because they told her they'd called me on Friday....

Tuesday, Kevin stays home from work and finally goes to the doctor. He has BRONCHITIS! BLAH!! He gets his antibiotic and a shot and FINALLY starts to feel better. As I am driving home from school my phone beeps that I have a voicemail. Not one, but three... the most important one is from my Aunt Vicki asking me to check in on my grandparents on Sunday... I got this message on Tuesday. This once again was not out of the ordinary. I live the closest to my grandparents and used to take care of them before I started teaching. I didn't call her back because I was so late in getting the message I assumed all was fine. I REALLY need to stop assuming...

I get home and check my email. I have a message from my mom titled "Gma's Health" and it said that my Grandma would get her stitches out Thursday, that her shoulder is badly broken and may need surgery. That she's in pain and would love a visit. That is may not be able to hear if you call because she can only get one hearing aid in....

huh? STITCHES... BROKEN SHOULDER??? I HAD NO IDEA!!!! me and my stupid funk.

Turns out that Gma was walking back to bed from the kitchen in the middle of the night tripped on the floor rug and fell head first into the front door. This happen THURSDAY NIGHT! So Friday when they called me to get prescriptions, she had just gotten out of the hospital. I FEEL SO HORRIBLE. In a heartbeat I would have eaten the 7 dollars for a movie to take care of my Gma! :(

I went over to see her today and she looks good. My Grandma's threshold for pain is not that of a normal human being... most people scream at the level she only winces. But she said her head doesn't hurt and her shoulders only hurt when she lays down or tries to stand after sitting.

I am going over to help her out on Saturday... she has Thursday and Friday covered. Please pray for her she has been in the hospital over 50 times and has had over 30 surgeries. She says "I'm a tough ol' bird, I wouldn't want to have me for Thanksgiving." :) She's amazing!

Also, my cousin Sarah's first child is due any day now... please pray for her as well.

I think VERIZON should credit my account for this weekend...

No comments: