Hello Everyone! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!!
When I was little, I was always told to count my blessings. I think now, as I have 1 month left in my 20s, I finally completely understand what that means and how to apply it to my life.
Blessing #1: My hubby. God hit me over the head a few times to make sure I was listening about this guy. He surely is my soul-mate. He keeps me laughing and holds me when I cry. I appreciate him so much. And, he bought me an iPad. Who couldn’t love a person who presents you with an iPad…. Love that guy!
Blessing #15: My family. Parents, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, siblings, cousins, in-laws, extended family, friends who become family…. I have surrounded myself with people who I can learn from everyday, people who inspire me, people who live their life in ways that continue to amaze me.
The most amazing to me, is my Dad. He’s a rock. As time goes on, he continues to improve. He is done with Chemo and Radiation… all that’s left now is recovery.
RECOVERY! What a blessing. The ability to just get there… I’m in awe.
Christmas was an emotional day for me. This was my first Christmas since my brother was born 22 years ago that I didn’t get to see him. You take it for granted. For all that my brother has been through… I was so proud of his choice of activity for Christmas day… Snowboarding. Genius. Blessing # 23- Jeff’s sobriety and happiness.
Dad was able to make it all Christmas festivities on Christmas Eve and Day. He and Mom went to a candle light service on Christmas Eve and they realized through many attempts that Mom is going to have to blow out candles for Dad for the foreseeable future. Seems he tried and tried, but couldn’t blow it out. And he chuckled as he and Mom told the story. Blessing #45- Dad’s attitude. Blessing #46- My Mom (period).
Mom took the reins to make sure that Dad was comfortable and they stuck to a strict time schedule to ensure Dad didn’t get tired out on Christmas Day. We spent the day with Mom’s side of the family at my Aunt Vicki’s house. So much tradition in all that we do on the Demarest side: Dinner, presents, dessert, overall merriment and great conversations. I love this time, we have a big family and I don’t get to see them as often as I’d like. The ones that live close, we make an effort to see one another very often. But the ones that have moved away, the holidays are the only time I see them and I cherish it. Plus we get calendars that are hand selected by our Grandma… it’s a “bowling ball” tradition. Blessing #53- TIME.
Dad filled his plate and ate a little of everything. His throat is still really sore from everything it’s been through. He is still getting the majority of his nutrition from his feeding tube, but he is making the effort. Blessing #60-Dad’s ability to maintain his weight.
After the amazing time at my Aunt Vicki’s, we headed over to Granny’s house to see the Coady side of the family. I look forward to this every year. Dad’s side of the family is spread out from New England to LA. This is an improvement in the logistics because at the beginning of the year, my uncle was still living in Mexico and my cousin in Belgium. Luckily, all have moved back to the US of A. Now, unfortunately, we don’t get to see the majority of the family as they are spread out so much but those of us who live close to the DFW area get together, catch up, tell stories and eat goodies prepared by my Granny. Dad is the most relaxed in this environment, with his Mom and his brother… relaxing and smiling… piping in when asked a question… Mom has gotten really good at reading his thoughts. Yes, his thoughts. Sometimes, he doesn’t have to mouth what he’s thinking, Mom guesses, and he agrees. I guess that comes with spending the majority of your life with the same person. Mom and Dad have been together for about 45 years, since they were 15 and 16 years old.
It was a wonderful time. My cousin Danielle is getting married in January and I am looking forward to getting to see them on a non-national holiday!!
And finally blessing #12305- Dad said “Hello” yesterday.
I didn’t get to hear it. Mom texted me about it. But I cried. It’s amazing how powerful the ability to speak or not speak can be. I have no idea what it sounds like. I can still hear my Dad’s voice in my head. It’s stronger when he hugs me. “Love you, sweetheart” is what I hear. Those were the last words my Dad said to me as he was wheeled away into surgery back in September. But it resonated and I know that’s what he’s mouthing when I see him. And hopefully I’ll get to hear those words again, in his new voice.
So… Keep the prayers coming. God is BIG ENOUGH and he is taking care of this family. Blessing #12306- God’s love.
And to quote my previous update: please continue to pray for comfort and strength for my Dad as he heals. Pray that food becomes appealing again. Pray that his throat heals with little to no scar tissue. And please say a prayer for my Mom. She is the epitome of strength and sacrifice. If you were to ask her, she'd say she's doing nothing that my Dad wouldn't do for her. Nothing that is out of the ordinary of what one caring person does for another. But I know better, and I am so grateful to know her, love her, and call her my Mama.
My Dad is continuing his fight and words can not express how proud I am of him.
So in his words, "Thank you. Keep the prayers coming. It will take a while but it will get better. Love you too."






1 comment:
Praying for your dad and you and kev!
Post a Comment