Hello Everyone!!!
Thought it was time for an Arlington Coady Clan update. We are all doing very well! :) I guess I should start with Dad, as I am sure you all want to know how he's doing. He makes this whole thing look like a breeze. He's taking everything a day at a time and he is just in the best of spirits. Two weekends ago, Granny had us over to dinner to see my Uncle Marty. Uncle Marty and Tina are moving from Mexico to North Carolina. It's a long trip and they are being so smart by breaking up the drive with stops to see family and friends.
We had a great dinner, complete with Graham cracker pie, be jealous you didn't get any because it's delicious!! Some people seemed to be surprised by how normal things are. My Dad can eat regular foods and even drink a little wine. He doesn't really enjoy beer anymore. He said all he tastes is the foam, but Merlot still taste good to him. Mom said that coffee still taste good too. :)
We had the best time talking to Granny and Uncle Marty and catching up. Uncle Marty was really excited to see my car in person!! Dad does really well with conversations by writing most of comments down on his white board, and we can read his lips pretty well. He doesn't have a tight enough seal around his trach to really be using his new larnyx but I think that's something they are going to deal with after radiation.
Dad starts chemo and radiation this week. I guess the pathology results came back as expected because they are moving forward. As for what those results are, we don't know. They just said they got them back and they were on par with what they thought they would say. So chemo and radiation it is.
Dad will have 6 ½ weeks of radiation starting this Wednesday and should be finished right before Thanksgiving if all goes according to plan. Chemo also starts on Wednesday... he’ll have Chemo once a week, on Wednesdays and radiation is everyday. He gets to go home everyday.. Radiation is only about 10 to 15 mins long but it is in Fort Worth so they'll have to make that drive everyday for the next 6 weeks. Chemo is a little longer.. like 4-5 hours. So Wednesday's are going to be tough days.
It’s going to be difficult to continue to eat during radiation because his esophagus is going to be so sore. He does still have the feeding tube in his stomach. But they want him to continue eating because if he doesn't scar tissue will form. It is going to difficult, but as with everything, Dad is taking it in stride. 1 day at a time.
One change he is planning to make is he’s going to go back to the trach that has a collar that goes around his neck during radiation. The one he wears now.. blends in very well, but if he wears it during radiation, it will tattoo his skin with a circle around the trach and we think Jeff has enough tattoos for all of us!
Speaking of Jeff, he is also doing AMAZING! Mom and Dad are driving home from Colorado as I type this. They went to visit Jeff and take him his dog Supa, as he is now living in an apartment that allows animals. Dad drove a lot of the trip and was driving when I talked to Mom about 30 minutes ago.
Mom said it was snowing in Colorado Springs, almost a white out. They were only in Colorado 22 hours. Jeff was in great spirits and looked good! Mom said that his apartment was very clean and neat. She was very impressed. She said they went to Petsmart, Target and to dinner. And that's about all the time they had!
Mom really seems to be holding her own throughout this whole process. She is so strong. She said she had a great time in colorado, but she forgot her coat. So she wore one of Dad's! Mom is not a light packer so I can assume Dad got some amusement from the fact that she probably packed her whole closet and not a single coat. I wish I could have gone too. I miss my brother so much. But I am so proud of him for going out into the world and making something of himself. He may not think it, but I think he is so brave. I LOVE THEM ALL!!
As for the Lawthers, we are doing good. Kev's football team seems like they have fina
lly found their groove after a pretty rocky start. These Thursday night Varsity games are weird, but it's nice to have time to hang out on a Friday night! I feel like I have seen my husband so much more this season than previous years... hope that continues! My 8th grade volleyball season is almost over. I am having a great time with these girls! But I am excited for basketball (imagine that) as I will be coaching 7th grade and I really enjoy that age.
I went to Ranger's game Saturday night with my Gma! We had a blast. Who cares about a little rain! God was watching out for us like he always does and magically, there were two unoccupied seats up under the awning so when it started pouring, we were high and dry. We stayed for the whole game and even went back down to our seats to brave the weather for the last 3 innings. I am so appreciative Gma wanted me to take her. Here's hoping we make it to the World Series and she'll need my assistance again!
Hope all is well with everyone!
LOVE YOU ALL!!







No comments:
Post a Comment