9.18.2010

Boykin’s visit

Jack Hunting Tigers...

Jordan, Brad and Jack are in town this week for the birth of their new nephew! Brad’s sister had a little boy last Thursday! So excited for them and also SO excited that they are staying with us. We always have such a fun time. Kev’s team was off this week, so it was a great time for them to be here.

Jack has grown so much since we last saw him in July. IT’S CRAZY! He amazes me. His imagination. He can spend hours pretending to: hunt tigers (notice the video above), bring you grapes, be a cat, or be a dragon. And when this kid plays pretend… he totally commits.

Jack in his “Jungle Hat”:

 Jack 9-2010 & Katie's cake 003

I first held this hand when he was 4 weeks old. And it melts my heart when he takes my hand to lead me on an “adventure” . :)

Jack 9-2010 & Katie's cake 008

Jordan asked him what a dragon sounds like:

Jack 9-2010 & Katie's cake 009 Jack 9-2010 & Katie's cake 011

My house was also a bakery on Friday night. Kevin’s friend and fellow coach’s daughter’s 6th birthday party was today and their family love my cakes. His wife asked me to provide the cake for the party and I happily agreed. I was going to give it to her as a gift, but she wouldn’t have it. So, I was a paid baker!! :) And I am really grateful because I also had a volleyball tournament today so all the work was worth it knowing I was being paid for my time.

It was a Hawaii themed party and she wanted a cake for the adults and cupcakes for the kids. I was so nervous. Thank God my seasoned baker best friend was here with me. Jordan kept me sane when the cake wraps kept falling off. She also smoothed the icing for me when I was about to throw in the towel.

Also, It would have been SO much easier if I had double ovens… I could have made a double batch of the batter and baked everything at once. But instead I had to make a single batch, bake the cupcakes, then rinse out all the bowls and tools and start all over for the cake. Maybe I can continue this venture and make enough to buy another oven. But I am really proud of the end result. Super moist, very yummy and so cute! (I was told the Grandfather of the birthday girl ate 3 pieces!!!) :)

chocolate devil’s food cake with cream cheese frosting:

(I think this cake looked really cool cut open with the light blue frosting and the dark chocolate cake!) :)

Jack 9-2010 & Katie's cake 015

white chocolate molded seashells around the sides:

Jack 9-2010 & Katie's cake 017

The cupcakes were sooo much easier!

Jack 9-2010 & Katie's cake 026

White chocolate molded seashells. So glad  that Jordan brought her molds with her!

THANK YOU JORDAN FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!!

Jack 9-2010 & Katie's cake 028 Jack 9-2010 & Katie's cake 029

2 comments:

Jalei & Lane said...

Your cake/cupcakes turned out so cute! I love the extra detail with the seashell molds.

Zanna Grace said...

CUTE!!!!!